Saturday 9 December 2017

Six on Saturday - 9 December 2017

'Six on Saturday' is a newish regular blogging thing created by @cavershamjj aka The Propagator on Twitter via his blog, thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com. In  nutshell you post six images of your garden each Saturday and share them online. You can read more about how to participate here.  

I have a feeling I'll struggle to do it weekly let alone have six different things I can photograph each week in my garden. I may also have to employ a loose definition of the word 'garden' and include my allotment as well...but let's start off with a positive attitude and pretend we might at least be able to do it monthly and maybe incorporate it into my 'monthly' plot updates!

1. First up a little ray of sunshine that is continuing to add a burst of colour to my front garden.


Yep, it's a calendula! No idea of the variety, other than a regular one as it has come across from my neighbour's front garden and self seeded itself. A perfect little flower on a winter's day.

2. Continuing the 'plants still in flower when they ought not to be' theme is this rose in the garden.


Again, I have no idea of the variety. It was in my garden when I moved here. It provides a wonderful spread of colour at the end of the garden in the summer.

3. Heuchera. Despite living here for the best part of ten years, I'm only now starting to put my mark on the garden and planting a few new things out in it.


This heuchera has lovely purple leaves which you can see clearly from one end of the garden to the other. Not that it's a big garden mind you! I'm in awe at all the different colour leaves in this genus and just might have to invest in some more.

Which reminds me I meant to keep a planting plan on the go so I could remember the names of everything I plant out, but I've forgotten what this variety is already!

4. A naked Christmas tree.


I bought this tree, Picea Pungens 'Glauca' from a local nursery so I could use it for my allotment association's entry into the town's Christmas Tree Festival last weekend. I desperately want to be able to put lights on it at home but don't think I've got a socket I can use. Current thinking is I need to install one in a bin store cupboard out the front. I've just got around to googling the variety and it's a blue spruce. Here it is in all it's glory at the tree festival, and yes we made decorations from veg!


5. Seed heads. These are Love in the Mist on my allotment. I haven't got around to tidying them up yet. Saying that, I've just seen a post on Twitter where someone has collected seed heads of various plants and flowers and has made a wonderful arrangement with them, so these may still come home with me....


My friend, Gina, in South Wales sent me a load of seeds last year. They provided an awesome array of colours on the plot this summer.

6. And lastly for this week, oca.


I'm stretching the 'in my garden' thing here to include all of my outdoor space! Oca are a tuber which originate from South America. They are day-length sensitive in that the tubers only start forming once the days start to shorten. There's a bunch of people on Twitter attempting to breed this characteristic out of them. If things had evolved differently, we could have been eating oca instead of potatoes, which is something that fascinates me. I've taken a pic of this one as it looks heart shaped. They are usually oval and taste like potatoes with a hint of lemon.

So that's it, my first Six on Saturday. Thanks for reading. Not sure when my next one will appear. I'd advise you not to hold your breath, just in case!

Linking up with The Propagator for this week's post which you can read here. Have a look at his post and all the other blogs linking up their posts this week in the comments.

Joanna x








6 comments:

  1. Your garden is still full of so much colour. The heuchera here are sagging, there's no roses, but my calendula are sassy as ever. What colours were your love in the mist? I'm sure the birds'll love all those seeds & you can use them for cooking as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lora. I think the rose and calendula were ALL the colour in my garden at the moment lol.
    Love in the mist were blues, mauves and a dark rose pink from memory. I'm sure I've got some pics somewhere.
    Thanks for the info re the seed heads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Sixfold. The rules are very loose - things in your garden, other gardens, inside the house (which is, of course in the garden), the allotment. Even on foreign jaunts! Having just two plants in flower at this time of the year is good; more than many of us have! Have you considered battery-operated lights for the tree? Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I think battery operated might be my only solution for the tree lights...

      Delete
  4. Some nice colour in both flowers and foliage! Also happy to see a Xmas tree in a pot, I've been trying to convince everyone to keep their tree for many years instead of cutting them and throwing them away each year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pretty rose is continuing to flower late into the season

    ReplyDelete